Coping During COVID-19
At Oakwood Schools, our students' mental health and overall wellness continues to be a priority, despite our physical closing.
The outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is causing more than a few disruptions in our lives. We've seen schools closed, events postponed and our spring sports season put on hold. Many of us are experiencing stress and anxiety, coping with those feelings can make you stronger.
We are here to help!
Even though our physical doors are closed, we are still available to work with students and families. At this time, email is our primary and initial method of communication. You can contact your counselors at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
If needed, we can coordinate additional conversations via the phone or Google Meet. (Please keep in mind that while confidentiality is still a main priority, some of these platforms are not as confidential as a face-to-face meeting).
According to the CDC, everyone reacts differently to stressful situations. Stress during an infectious disease outbreak can include:
- Fear and worry about your own health and the health of your loved ones
- Changes in sleep or eating patterns
- Difficulty sleeping or concentrating
- Worsening of chronic health problems
- Increased use of alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs
It's important we work to manage this stress.
Although remaining inside is a good way to protect yourself and others from the coronavirus, it can also lead to being bored, anxious and stressed.
Here are a few resources to help navigate your time at home:
If you, your student, or a peer is experiencing more extensive or crisis-related concerns (such as severe depression, harm to others, self-harm, or suicidal ideation), please contact one of the following resources immediately:
- Crisis Care (937) 224-4646
- Crisis Text Line-Text CONNECT to 741741
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK
- Drug and Poison Control: 1-800-222-1222
- 1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433)
- Dayton Children’s Crisis Center for students 17 or younger:
- Monday through Friday 8:00 am - midnight
- Saturday and Sunday 2:00 pm - midnight
- Visit the ER during other times
- Miami Valley Hospital or Kettering Medical Center ER - if 18 or older